Thursday, April 28, 2011

Staroměstský Jarmark in the Ultimate Medieval Hamlet



Imagine my surprise when I strolled into Old Town Square and saw several stands set up (I love them stands).  Now imagine my surprise when I realized that there was an Old Town Fair going on!  There is nothing better than a fair that allows you to take a step back in time...allows your imagination to run wild.  And in my imagination I was taking in the sights and sounds wearing a beautiful emerald-hued bliaut and side saddling my dark chocolate colored horse.



 I was also taking in the scents... the alluring aroma of wood-smoked meat was making me, quite frankly, drool.



 Now THIS is a pan!  




  




Making Langoše ... a light & fluffy fried dough topped with cheese and garlic (there are other toppings available, but cheese and garlic is my favorite)

No Old Town Fair woud be complete without licorice...


 One of my favorite Czech sweets is Trdelník - it's a sweet dough that is wrapped around either a wood or metal bar and roasted over an open flame until it becomes golden brown.  It then gets rolled in a blend of sugar, cinnamon and nuts.  Mmmmm good! 


The work of a local blacksmith is on display...
...and available for purchase


 The backdrop is magnificent...
 


More meat... klobásy 


 That's me!  I'm savoring Svařák (hot mulled wine).  I can't seem to ever attend a fair without Svařák in my hand!